Call me shallow if you like, but two of my most reliable sources of enjoyment are Lucky magazine (on a monthly basis) and Go Fug Yourself (on a weekly basis – although they post daily I like to save it up as a special treat). Yes. Shopping, and snarky commentary on celebrity fashion. Honestly, would you prefer: The reification of post-capitalist hegemony opens a space for the discourse of linguistic transparency. Not on a Friday night, certainly. Nor on any morning, noon, or evening of the week for me, I’ll be honest. (Anyway, don’t get your shorts in a twist, I didn’t say they were my only two reliable sources of enjoyment; I just said they were two of such.)
In contrast to that dreadful assault of overstuffed pedantism, Lucky gives me the sensation of a shopping trip with the following advantages:
- I don’t have to leave the house.
- There are no other shoppers angling around and blocking my view, buffeting me with their large purses or loud phone conversations, or silently judging my outfit.
- It has glossy, glossy photos. And some really nifty stickers to mark items I like. (If I had to guess, I’m going to say this single item is the one that will generate the most ribbing from my … six … readers. What! They’re fun.)
- Because it is a print publication, I am not on the internet, which means I am not in danger of spending any money while enjoying the comforts of my sofa.
- Even better, I can be wearing pajamas; AND I am not in danger of trying on something that is desperately unflattering. Pretty much the pinnacle.
I find their blogs quite enjoyable as well, although my fave of their bloggers has gone silent for a time; I was so concerned I actually CHECKED THE MASTHEAD to be sure she still worked there. As of December 2009, yes. I think this makes me a little bit of a freaky stalker, so no I’m not telling you who.
Go Fug Yourself – well, it’s a marvel of its kind. I’m ruined for other similar sites because the caliber of snarky humor they bring on a regular basis … well, it just can’t be matched. And they have polls. Sheesh! I love a poll. Some of my favorites that they do are the series in the voice of … whomever. The Britney Spears posts (Letters of Truth) are standouts.
And it’s Friday night. So I’m going to go read a magazine now.